What is winter illness summer treatment?
Winter Illness Summer Treatment is a traditional Chinese treatment for illness or disease that worsens during the winter time.
What illness or disease can be treated?
1) Respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, sore throat, chronic cough
2) Arthritis, body aches and pains that worsens in winter time
3) Stomach problems caused by too much coldness (yin).
4) Low immune system: easily catch cold and flu
5) Allergy with the seasonal changes
Who can benefit from this type of treatment?
People of all ages, but it is most effective for children, elderly and chronically ill patients
Why do we treat these problems in the summer time?
The purpose of treating these problems during the summer time is to build up the yang or hot energy at this time of the year when yang is at its peak in the universe and in the human body; this is to prevent or reduce winter ailments caused by the invasion of yin (cold energy) when yang is at a low level. Since summer is hot and the pores are open, herbal medicine is more readily absorbed into our body. Treating winter ailments in summer is based on the TCM theory of the correspondence between human beings and the universe. Seasonal changes directly influence the energy balance within the human body. The yang energy in the body increases and inhibits pathogenic cold, and yang energy peaks in summer's days. Cold-expelling therapies applied in the summer time can help accumulate yang energy and to prevent relapses in the winter.
When should you – RIGHT NOW.
The treatment usually takes place in the hot summer, in Chinese word “San Fu” which means “ Three Summers,” 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the 30 hottest days of summer, from mid-July to mid-August in the Chinese Lunar Calendar. Each “Fu” is about 10 days. This year “San Fu” or “Three Summers” runs from July 18 to August 26.
This summer, there are 20 days in the 2nd summer. (1st Fu 7/18---7/27. 2nd Fu 7/28---8/16. 3rd Fu 8/17—8/26.)
How many treatments do people need?
Minimum of one treatment in each Fu is needed. Better with 2 treatments within each Fu. Treatment for three consecutive summers can be very helpful for the most stubborn health problems.
What treatment protocols do people get from our center?
- 30 minutes of herbal body steam/ foot steam.
- 30 minutes of acupuncture.
- And one or two herbal patch taped to their upper back at an Acupuncture point. The patient is supposed to keep the patch for 4-6hours. Warming sensation may be felt at the local point. This herbal patch made from special formula passed down by this center’s 3 generation family practice
What caution shall people take?
Some people may have sensitive skin. Tape or herb may irritate their skin. If this happen, remove the herb earlier. Avoid hot spicy food and seafood for 3 days. Avoid over exercising or sweating on the day of treatment. No swimming and cold showers. Avoid cold and ice.
What is the cost?
$99 per treatment. Your insurance may cover some of the cost if you have acupuncture benefit.